Monday, May 22, 2017

Alien Covenant wants to know if a creation owes its creator anything.

Alien: Covenant beat out Guardians of the Galaxy over the weekend, and that makes me happy. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Alien movies that have high production values (courtesy of Ridley Scott). This particular movie was also rated-R, which makes it even more of an accomplishment because of the significantly reduced audience size. Any Alien movie that isn't rated-R would automatically be a red flag to me. The xenomorph and everything that has to do with it is such an originally terrifying creation that getting an "R" rating in this case is pretty much a badge of honor.

So did I like the movie? Yep. But I also liked Prometheus. If you are looking for a continuation of the story that was started in Prometheus, more spectacular scenery of the Engineers including another Engineer ship and a fantastic city of Engineers, and then on top of that more symbolism...you will find those aplenty in this sequel. No explanations are handed out to you either. Rather, the director assumes you are intelligent and in watching the events unfold on the screen, you actually get quite a few answers about the Engineer civilization and the continuing story of David the android. Ridley Scott does a great job of framing the entire Alien saga as a basic struggle between a creator and the thing that was created. It's actually kind of mind-bending and fascinating.

Does a creation owe its creator anything? It's that kind of basic question that is answered in Alien: Covenant. I just hope there are more movies, because I have different questions now than the ones I was left with at the end of Prometheus.

6 comments:

  1. I guess it must have better word of mouth than the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, a couple major plot holes kept me from enjoying it. I reviewed it today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Does a creation owe its creator anything?" <---That is an interesting question. Makes me wish I had any interest in watching an Alien movie. :)

    Glad you liked the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did find it interesting that the 'creator' got such little respect from David. I didn't ever see Prometheus so may have missed a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting question. Does a child owe its mother anything? I think the ideas are similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see Prometheus but I'm familiar with the Alien movies, so I maybe could see this current one. I really like the idea of the story asking if the created owes a debt to the creator. But if he/she/it didn't ask to be created or didn't want to be, is the answer no?

    ReplyDelete