Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Six things that were incredibly awesome about the Flash season three

Warning: Spoilers Ahead. If you intend to watch the third season of The Flash, you probably shouldn't read any further.  Wow. The Flash season finale (it was called "Finish Line") was pretty incredible, with lots of high and low moments, and an unexpected twist that really tore at my heart more than I thought it would. That being said, I'd like to go over six things that I thought really made this season great.
1) Cisco Ramon got a girlfriend. Gypsy (played by Jessica Camacho) was a bounty hunter pursuing H.R. Wells from universe to universe. Her vibe powers were a little more powerful than Cisco, but the chemistry was certainly there. And it was a lot of fun to see Cisco pursue a love interest with clever one liners all so that she could save him in the final episode of the season. That's a nice character arc.
2) Killer Frost and Dr. Caitlyn Snow finally reached some kind of reconciliation, and the two personalities merged to form one wholly different person that had the good and bad from both people. Her story was also very interesting, falling in love with Tom Felton's character Julian Albert, then dying only to be saved by her alter ego, and then skating around town by creating a bridge of ice that could propel her through the air between skyscrapers.
3) Kid Flash got introduced and is in perfect position to take over the series. Out goes Barry Allen who created Flash Point and in goes Wally West. As sad as that ending was, to see Barry leave Earth for permanent exile within the Speed Force, I think there is more that has yet to be written with Wally West's Flash and where that character can grow. Besides, Warner Brothers may want to concentrate on the Barry Allen that's going to be seen in movies and not the one in the t.v. show.
4) H.R. Wells became the surprise savior of the season. This was totally unexpected, and I really got to where I liked this character. The fact that he fell in love with Tracy Brand (played by Anne Dudek) just made it all the more bittersweet when he died (having traded places with Iris West in a way that left Savitar--the major villain--clueless).
5) I ended up being right about Savitar. A few weeks ago in this post I explained that I thought that Savitar was a Time Remnant. Being right just gives me that little pump of validation that makes it all worth it, ya know?
6) We saw the Flash do a gorilla punch in Gorilla City. That right there is just epic. TV has never been cooler. Whenever The Flash does a Grodd story it spares no expense, and this season we saw a two-part Gorilla City spectacular. I just can't complain about any of that. Just think about that folks: we got to see a giant telepathic evil gorilla! When was the last time you could drop that sentence in conversation to someone about what kind of tv you saw last night?

So what's in store for season four? Well it's going to be a show without Barry Allen. That does kind of suck. I wonder if they'll bring him back for anything. It's not quite a Game of Thrones exit as it does leave some doors open, but it's been a while since I watched a show that so thoroughly wrote its main character out of the story.

9 comments:

  1. I missed the episode where they went to Gorilla City. I like Gypsy a lot, though. And I am curious what next season will look like. I haven't read any of the comics or anything, so I have no idea where the story might even go, but I do assume Grant Gustin will be back in some form at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really think they're not going to bring back the star of the show? 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Gorilla there is sure to impress my twelve year old grandson, but I leave it up to his parents about what they allow their children to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about your mom. We can never get over the loss of our parents. We eventually learn to live with the fact that we lost our mom or dad. My family's and my prayers are with you. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know I don't watch this show, but I still love reading your enthusiastic reviews. There's just too much good TV anymore, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there's ever "too much." Just too much in the sense that you have to pay across too many platforms. For example, I'm pretty irked that the new Star Trek series will be on CBS all access this fall and not on CBS. This means I'll have to pay to watch.

      Delete
  6. This was a satisfying season ending for the Flash. I didn't see the HR ending coming but it made me laugh -- every season we get a new Harrison Wells. Who will we get next year? With the loss of Barry Allen I bet they go back to Earth 2's version. Maybe they will find a new Wells but I'm sure Tom Cavanagh will make it great.

    I think you are premature in thinking Barry is gone forever. Grant Gustin is the focus of this show and I'd be shocked if he doesn't come back. I just hope they have more patience than they did when Oliver Queen 'died' on Arrow. That lasted one episode as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are we sure Grant Gustin is gone? (I waited to read this until I watched the episode.) I had not heard he was leaving. Nor have I heard he's not coming back. Until then, I see this as a cliffhanger where the team is going to work to figure out how to rescue him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not sure that Grant Gustin is gone. However, how do they come back from him being voluntarily imprisoned in the Speed Force?

      Delete